This policy applies to information we collect through the Services and via email, text, and other electronic messages between you and Werner.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED, PROCESSED, AND DISCLOSED BY WERNER (INCLUDING SOURCES, PURPOSES, AND THIRD PARTY RECIPIENTS)
- THIRD-PARTY PRIVACY PRACTICES
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS, INCLUDING CALIFORNIA AND EUROPEAN PRIVACY RIGHTS
- THIRD-PARTY MARKETING
- CROSS-BORDER TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- DATA CONTROLLER
- HOW TO CONTACT US
I. PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED, PROCESSED, AND DISCLOSED BY WERNER (INCLUDING SOURCES, PURPOSES, AND THIRD-PARTY RECIPIENTS)
The table below includes the categories of Personal Information that Werner has collected within the last twelve (12) months through the provision of the Services, as well as categories of Personal Information Werner currently collects or reasonably anticipates collecting moving forward. For each category of Personal Information, the table also identifies: (1) the sources from which such categories of Personal Information have been or may be collected; (2) the business or commercial purposes for which such categories of Personal Information have been or may be collected; and (3) the categories of third parties with which Werner has shared or may share such categories of Personal Information.
CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
- Identifiers, such as your name, postal address, or other similar identifiers
- Personal Information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)), such as your name, postal address, telephone number, or other similar identifiers. Some Personal Information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
Internet or other similar network activity, such as your search history, browsing history, login information, and IP addresses on Werner’s information systems and networks.
SOURCES, PURPOSES, AND THIRD PARTY RECIPIENTS
(i.e., categories of sources from which such Personal Information was or may be collected)
- Potential and actual customers
- Services used to monitor the use of our premises, equipment, devices, computers, network, application, and similar resources
- Invoicing and accounting vendors
- Website analytics service providers
- Data and backup service providers
- Other service providers
- Governmental entities
(i.e., business or commercial purposes for which such Personal Information was or may be collected)
- Providing products, transportation and logistics solutions, requested information, and support
- Process orders, shipments, and Final Mile deliveries to consumers
- Business management, analysis, and reporting
- Performing our obligations and enforcing our rights arising from contracts, including for billing and collections
- Conducting investigations to detect and prevent malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for such activity
- Protecting our legal interests and meeting our legal obligations (e.g., Responding to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable laws, court orders, or governmental regulations
(i.e., categories of third parties with which Werner has shared or may share such Personal Information for a business or commercial reason)
We may share your Personal Information by disclosing it to a third party for a business purpose. We only make these business purpose disclosures under written contracts that describe the purposes, require the recipient to keep the Personal Information confidential, and prohibit using the disclosed information for any purpose except performing the contract. In the preceding twelve (12) months, Werner has disclosed Personal Information for a business purpose to the categories of third parties indicated below.
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates
- Our independent contractors, service providers, and subcontractors
- Third parties involved in an actual or potential merger, acquisition, or other reorganization
- Governmental entities
- Litigants, court personnel, and providers of litigation-related services
Personal Information Category
Category of Third Party Recipients
Business Purpose Disclosures
A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers (i.e. for final mile delivery confirmations and in the claims context)
website analytics provider, contract carriers for deliveries, claims adjustment, payroll provider, benefit providers
B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
A name, signature, telephone number, insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
Some Personal Information included in this category may overlap with other categories (i.e., in the claims context).
website analytics provider, contract carriers for deliveries, claims adjustment, payroll provider, benefit providers context).
C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
D: Commercial information.
Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories (i.e. for final mile delivery confirmations).
for final mile delivery confirmations, contract carriers assisting with deliveries
E: Biometric information.
Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, voice, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, or other physical patterns
Service provider assisting with access to terminals, Service provider assisting with access to devices
F: Internet or other similar network activity.
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement
website analytics providers, internet service providers
G: Geolocation data.
H: Sensory data.
Audio (i.e., Call recordings), electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information
quality assurance service providers, claims assistance providers, service providers assisting with litigation context).
I: Professional or employment-related information.
J: Non-public education information.
K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
A. NO SALE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
B. LEGAL GROUNDS FOR COLLECTING AND PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
CONSENT. The legal ground for processing your Personal Information that we collect when you provide us with specific permission to do so, is your consent, which you may withdraw at any time by clicking on any unsubscribe link that we provide or contacting us via one of the submission methods noted in Section (VI)(C)(1).
II. THIRD PARTY PRIVACY PRACTICES
III. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Our Services are not directed to individuals under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect or use any Personal Information from users under 16 years of age. No Personal Information should be submitted by individuals under 16 years of age. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from someone under 16, we will take steps to delete the Personal Information as soon as possible.
IV. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Werner will retain your Personal Information for the duration of time necessary to fulfill the purposes for which your Personal Information was originally collected or received and to meet our legal obligations.
V. PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We implement technical and organizational measures designed to assist in maintaining the security, integrity and confidentiality of Personal Information; safeguarding against anticipated threats to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Personal Information; and protecting your Personal Information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, and unauthorized access or disclosure.
However, whenever Personal Information is processed, there is a risk that such data could be lost, misused, modified, hacked, breached, and/or otherwise accessed by an unauthorized third party. No system or online transmission of data is completely secure. In addition to the technical and organizational measures that we have in place to protect your Personal Information, you should use appropriate security measures to protect your Personal Information. If you believe that any Personal Information you provided to us is no longer secure, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Services like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Services.Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Services. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services.
VI. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS, INCLUDING CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
A. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California residents have certain rights under California law (“California Law”), which gives California residents (“consumers” or “you”) certain rights and control over their Personal Information. Terms used in this Section, but not otherwise defined, will have the same meaning as those terms in California Law.
If you are a California resident, you may have the following rights, where applicable and subject to any applicable exceptions:
- You have the right to request that we disclose information about the Personal Information we collect, use, disclose and/or sell concerning you, including
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- You have the right to request the deletion of Personal Information we have collected or maintain about you, subject to any exceptions set forth in California Law or related regulations.
- You have the right to direct any business that sells your Personal Information not to sell your Personal Information.
- You have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your rights.
- You have the right to request that we limit the use and disclosure of your sensitive Personal Information.
- You have the right to correct your Personal Information.
- You have the right to opt out from any business sharing your Personal Information.
B. OTHER PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are located outside of California, you may have privacy rights under your local laws.
Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, and Virginia residents may have certain rights under their respective state laws. First, you have the right to request that we disclose information about the personal information we collect, use, disclose and/or sell concerning you. Second, you have the right to correct your Personal Information.
C. EXERCISING PRIVACY RIGHTS
In this section, we provide an explanation of our process for permitting individuals to exercise any privacy rights to which they are entitled by law, for designating an authorized agent, and for verifying the identity of individuals who submit privacy right requests.
1. SUBMITTING REQUESTS TO EXERCISE PRIVACY RIGHTS
- SUBMISSION METHODS:
- Calling us at 1-800-228-2240 (press 0 for the operator, and ask for the EVP and Chief Legal Officer)
- Write us at the following address: Werner Enterprises, Inc., Attention: Associate Corporate Counsel, 14507 Frontier Road, Omaha, NE 68138
- Or, submit the web form linked here .
- SPECIAL PROCESS FOR DELETION REQUESTS: To help ensure that none of your information is inappropriately deleted, we utilize a two-step process for requests to delete Personal Information. First, you must submit a clear request to delete in writing. Second, if we can confirm your identity and a clear relationship or collection of your information we may contact you separately, and you must confirm to us that you do, in fact, want your Personal Information deleted.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
- We will delete or deidentify Personal Information not subject to one of these exceptions from our records and will direct our service providers to take similar action.
- SUBMISSION CONTENTS: Requests to exercise your privacy right(s) via the submission methods noted above should include the following information:
- If you are exercising access rights, the information to which you are requesting access;
- If you are exercising deletion rights, the information for which you are requesting ‘deletion;
- Any other relevant information about your Personal Information and/or the right you are exercising; and
- A phone number and/or email address at which we can reach you.
- Your name;
- The country in which you currently reside, and if in the United States, the state in which you currently reside;
- Your relationship with Werner (i.e. employee, customer, contractor driver).
- Details that will assist us in responding to your request, including:
2. DESIGNATING AN AUTHORIZED AGENT TO MAKE A REQUEST
Only you or a person that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. If desired, you may designate an authorized agent to make a verifiable consumer request on your behalf by submitting such request to us via email at [email protected] with “Request for Authorized Agent” in the subject line. Before responding to such a request, we will require your authorized agent to verify his/her authority and identity.
3. VERIFICATION OF REQUESTS
Before responding to your request to exercise your rights, we will verify your identity through reasonable verification measures. If we have a password-protected account with you, we may verify your identity through our existing authentication practices for your account. If you are requesting the disclosure or deletion of Personal Information, we will require you to re-authenticate yourself before disclosing or deleting your Personal Information.
Our verification processes also may include requiring you to provide answers to questions pertaining to the information we have on file for you (e.g., your account number); requesting confirmation of the request using your email address on file; or calling the phone number we have on file for you to confirm the request.
If we cannot verify your identity based on information we already have, we may request additional information from you. If this is necessary, we will only use the additional information for purposes of verifying your identity and for and fraud-prevention. And if we are unable to reasonably verify your identity (and thus unable to comply with your request), we will advise you why that is the case.
4. DISABILITY ASSISTANCE
5. RESPONSE TIMING AND FORMAT
We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) business days. If you do not receive confirmation within the 10-day timeframe, please contact [email protected].
We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to another 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the twelve (12)month period preceding our receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
II. THIRD PARTY MARKETING
We do not disclose or sell Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing use.
III. CROSS-BORDER TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
When we receive your Personal Information, your Personal Information may be stored on servers in the United States, or Mexico (if possible, though some subcontractors require access and storage outside the United States). If you are located outside the United States, your Personal Information may be transferred to us in the United States. The data protection and privacy laws of the United States may not be as comprehensive as the laws in your country. For example, Personal Information transferred to the United States may be subject to lawful access requests by federal and state authorities in the United States. Any transfers of Personal Information from the European Union or the United Kingdom are made pursuant to European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses, which are available at the following link (https://form.jotform.com/212096540485053).
IV. DATA CONTROLLER
Werner, headquartered at 14507 Frontier Road, Omaha, NE 68138, is the controller of Personal Information that is used by Werner for business purposes and is either received directly from Werner’s customers, applicants, and other Site Users, or collected by or on behalf of Werner (e.g., through our Sites and authorized third parties).
- If your Personal Information is controlled by Werner, you may contact us via one of the submission methods noted in Section (VI)(C)(1).
If your Personal Information was collected by or on behalf of one of Werner’s customers or service providers, then such Personal Information collection and usage is controlled by that customer or service provider, with Werner assisting such customer as a service provider (i.e., processor).
V. COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
Strictly-necessary cookies and technology. These are cookies and other technologies that are required for the operation of our website, our products, and our services, and therefore cannot be turned off. You can set your browser or device to block or alert you about these cookies, but functionality may be impaired. These cookies do not store any Personal Information. These cookies are used solely for the purpose of carrying out or facilitating the transmission of a communication and are strictly necessary to provide you with the information service you have expressly requested. The use of these cookies for the purposes described above is based on our legitimate interest to ensure your access to and the proper technical functioning of our website, products, and services that you have expressly requested.
Targeting cookies. These cookies record your activity on our site or using our services including the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We may use this information to make our content more relevant to you to measure the effectiveness of our marketing. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. These are also optional cookies, although if you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
Your Choices: Managing Your Preferences
When you first visit our website you will be presented with a banner which offers you a choice about whether to accept or reject cookies or tracking technologies of different types, with the exception of those cookies which are strictly necessary for a particular service.
If you wish, you can also choose how web browser cookies are handled by your device via your browser settings. Some devices allow you to control this through your device settings. If you choose not to receive cookies at any time, websites may not function properly and certain services will not be provided. Each browser and device are different, so check the settings menu of the browser or device to learn how to change your settings and cookie preferences.
VII. HOW TO CONTACT US