Take advantage of your VA education benefits and invest in your future with Werner Enterprises’ industry-leading apprenticeship program. Designed to support and attract talented, motivated military veterans as they transition to a new career, Werner’s highly successful Professional Truck Driver Apprenticeship Program has helped more than 4,500 students. Master your professional driving skills during training school while earning a stipend for financial assistance. Join our team today to discover the opportunities waiting for you at Werner.
VA Approved Professional Truck Driver Apprenticeship Program
- Initiated by Werner Enterprises and approved by the Department of Labor and VA in April 2006, Werner established the very first apprenticeship program in our industry that focuses on the hiring of veterans as professional drivers.
- Under this program, eligible military veterans who have the Post 9/11 GI Bill can receive up to $23,714 of their tax-free benefits while working at Werner, in addition to their Werner pay. The VA submits the payment directly to the veteran.
- Eligible veterans can use their benefits to pay for truck driving training while earning a housing allowance stipend to help pay bills while training. Upon graduating with a Class A CDL, eligible veterans will complete the VA required paperwork on their first day of driver orientation at Werner to enroll in our apprenticeship program.
Veteran Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Introduced in August 2013, this program allows veterans who are first-time student drivers to use their GI Bill benefits to pay for truck driving school.
- Payment is $250 a month, paid directly to the veteran. The total amount of payments will not exceed $15,000.
Eligible Applicants for the VA Approved Apprenticeship Program
- Graduates from truck driving school
- Experienced drivers with limited driving experience
- Drivers must be a Werner employee to participate in the apprenticeship program and receive VA Educational Benefits
How the VA Educational Benefit Money Works:
- Paid from the Department of Veterans Affairs directly to the driver
- Once employed at Werner, it takes the VA roughly 90 days to determine eligibility and issue a check
- Paid monthly in arrears, based on a 30-day month
- If only part of a month is worked, benefits are pro-rated
- The first check will more than likely be retroactive, therefore a larger amount
- Pay depends on the category a person fits in, but is all TAX FREE
Questions Regarding Eligibility
Contact the VA by phone at 888.GI.BILL.1 (888.442.4551) or visit them online at www.gibill.va.gov.