Thank you for your interest in the Werner Owner Operator Program. Werner is proud to offer this unique opportunity to its company drivers.
You may be asking yourself "What are the advantages?" and "Why would a Company driver want to become a Contractor?" Here are just some of the reasons:
- The opportunity to supply your family with a better life.
- The opportunity to own your own business.
- Higher income
- Tax benefits
- Able to select a truck from a group of well maintained Werner used trucks (Freightliner, Peterbult and Kenworths)
- Company Driver payroll deduction Savings Plan for the down payment
- The truck payment is deducted from your weekly Settlement
- Group rates for:
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Workman compensation coverage
- Truck insurance - Bobtail and Property Damage
- Competitive interest rates.
- We have a limited number of vehicles available for No Money Down. Call for more details.
- You can stay on your current 48 state Fleet Manager’s board if you wish. Several Dedicated and Regional divisions are available for Owner Operators too.
General Information about the Program
- The Lender makes all the decisions regarding credit approval. Once credit is approved, you can obtain more information about the Financial Agreements with the lender approving your application. The Lender requires the equipment to stay leased on with Werner throughout the term of the loan.
- If you are financing the truck through the Werner Owner Operator program the truck payment will come out of the weekly settlement. These payments will only be deducted if there are sufficient funds are in your settlement.
- Trucks available in this program are Freightliner Classics & Centuries.
- Competitive fuel reimbursement paid to the truck for every mile loaded and deadhead to help defer the price of diesel fuel.
- The down payment is required at the time of purchase. Cashier’s checks and personal checks are accepted, no cash please.
- Purchasers buying a tractor under the Special Purchase Plan must agree to enter into a Contractor Operating Agreement with Werner Enterprises, Inc. at the time of the purchase.
- Purchasers become the Owner Operator of the truck and must operate the equipment for 6 months to a year before hiring drivers to replace themselves.
You can now purchase trucks at the following locations
Terminals: Omaha NE, Fontana CA, Lithia Springs GA, Phoenix AZ, Dallas TX, Springfield OH, Denver CO, Laredo TX, Portland OR, Allentown PA, Indianapolis, IN and Lakeland FL.
Other Fleet Truck Sales locations: West Valley City UT, Houston, TX, and Concord, NC
- Tires and parts may be purchased at any Werner full service terminal at very competitive prices.
- Werner provides weekly trip settlements. Settlements are issued each Tuesdays. The settlement week is Tuesday through Monday midnight. You have the option to receive settlement information via regular mail, fax, or E-mail.
- Werner supplies all plates, permits, and pays all authorized tolls.
- Insurance is available at competitive rates; these include Health & Dental Insurance, Worker’s Compensation Insurance, and Bobtail & Physical Damage Insurance.
- Werner can help you with many administrative details such as rider passes and pet permits.
- Easy and convenient Automated Advances from your truck.
- Direct Deposit is available and gives you faster access to your funds. Over 90% of the Owner Operators under contract with Werner Enterprises use this service. DMI drivers direct deposit does not transfer over. A new direct deposit form will need to be filled out as a Contractor. Allow up to 3 to 4 weeks for the new direct deposit to be processed.
- Maintenance Escrow Account is available through Werner this allows you to set aside 2 to 10 cents per mile. This gives you a fund to pay for truck repairs, tires, and/or road breakdowns. The Current lenders require 8 cents minimum. People training or teaming should use 10 cents.
- Owner Operators may use the Werner fuel card system and have the fuel costs deducted from their settlements.
- Accounting services and Legal services can be arranged through a third party, for a monthly charge, which comes out of the settlement check.
- Contractor’s Pay Scale is available upon request.